Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Bullish Swann guarantees World Cup fitness

Bullish Swann guarantees World Cup fitness

Graeme Swann is nursing back and knee injuries ahead of the World Cup © PA Photos
Enlarge

Graeme Swann has handed England a significant boost by insisting he will "definitely be fine" for the start of the World Cup.

The spinner was forced to leave the tour of Australia after picking up a back injury that was an unwanted accompaniment to a knee problem he was already nursing.

He will rejoin the England camp on February 22 - two days before their opening World Cup match against Netherlands - after attending the birth of his first child and training with county Nottinghamshire.

Despite the lack of match practice, he is adamant he will be at his lethal best against the minnows. "I've had a bad back for years and, every now and again, it gives me problems," Swann told the Sun.

"But I know from previous experience that I'll definitely be fine for the World Cup from the start. [The back injury] happened when I was getting changed in Hobart. I bent down and felt a twinge - there was nothing more to it than that.

"It's improved already but would not be 100% right to play in any of the remaining one-dayers. It was decided it was best if I went home so I could rest, recover, spend some time with Sarah (his wife) and get back into training.

"Once I'm fit again, I'll join in with Notts' winter training. I'm not worried about the back. The first time it happened in my career, I was frantic. But it doesn't feel as bad as it did then. My knee is also coming along nicely."

No comments:

Post a Comment